Raspberry Shortcakes with Mascarpone

Random piece of information no. 1
When I was girl I was given a strawberry shortcake doll, which I loved, not least because she smelled of strawberries. At that point I didn’t know that the name of the doll was derived from a classic American baked delight of the same name.

Random piece of information no. 2
This week I’ve had raspberries on my mind and have been experiencing an increasingly strong urge to do something raspberry on my blog – they’re so incredibly photogenic, it’s a must really ;-) But what to make?

Random piece of information no. 3
A few a weeks ago a friend planted an interesting idea in my head. (Have you seen Inception? It was a bit like that). She said she’d heard that mascarpone could be used instead of clotted cream. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Distant memories of British Airways scones, jam and clotted cream kept creeping into my head. Yes, that was back in the days when airlines were nice and served free food (albeit not the healthiest snack, BA, but it was really really good!)

Aha!
So, the pieces of the jigsaw began to fall into place – my scone became a shortcake (a wholemeal one), the strawberry became raspberry jam, and the cream became mascarpone. The latter worked really well and is ideal for those of us stranded on mainland Europe with no access to clotted cream. Apologies to all Americans who deem this Strawberry Shortcake makeover to be blasphemous – perhaps I should just have named it something completely different…

Here you have the recipes and photos, which include the 3 daughter quality control team.

Quick Jam

250g raspberries
250g sugar

Preheat oven to 180°C

Put the sugar and raspberries into separate bowls and place in the hot oven for 20-25 minutes. Sterilise a 250 ml jar by placing it too in the oven for 5-10 minutes. After removing from the oven, pour the sugar over the raspberries and mix well. Pour into the jar, close and leave to cool before storing in the fridge.

Wholemeal Shortcakes
200g plain flour
125g wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
5 tablespoons sugar
125g unsalted butter, frozen
1 large egg
125 ml cream
1 egg white, lightly beaten

1 tub mascarpone

Preheat the oven to 200°C.

Mix the flours, salt, baking powder and 3 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl. Grate the butter into these dry ingredients and rub in well with your fingers. Whisk the egg and cream together and pour into the flour mixture a little at a time, mixing with a fork.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to a thickness of about 2 cm. Using a small round cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can and place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper. The dough should yield 8-10 shortcakes. Brush the tops of the shortcakes with the lightly beaten egg white and then sprinkle them with the remaining sugar.

Bake for approx 10 minutes in the oven, until they are golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.

The shortcakes are best eaten still warm. Slice them in half and smear the bottom half with a thick layer of mascarpone. Top this with some of the raspberry jam and place the top back on.

Recipes inspired by Nigella’s ‘How to be a Domestic Goddess’

About these ads

1. Posted August 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

As an American, I will applaud you for your makeover. Give me raspberries over strawberries any day. These, as usual, look delicious.
    Sidenote: When we were kids, my older sister had a Strawberry Shortcake doll and accused me of ‘smelling the strawberry out of it.’ Cut to 25 years later, my younger sister finally fessed up to the crime.

2. Posted August 22, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Liz – glad you like!

It’s rough being a middle sister ;-)

3. Neil
    Posted August 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Actually, making your own clotted cream is absurdly easy. I even do it at christmas and add whisky – goes a treat with mince pies!

4. Posted August 23, 2010 at 6:48 am | Permalink | Reply

Really? The real deal, using unpasteurised milk?

5. Posted August 23, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink | Reply

These look beautiful!

6. Posted August 23, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink | Reply

Thanks! Being a scone expert, would you say these could be considered scones? Perhaps just scone-wannabes ;-)

7. neil
    Posted August 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

I know most recipes call for unpasturized cream but I find it works fine with økologisk piskefløde even though it is pasturized. Interestingly, American recipes simply say to avoid ‘ultra pasturized’ cream but we don’t seem to have that distinction here.

I have also managed to get the kids to make butter by filling a jam jar with cream that is bordering on its use-by date and having them roll it across the floor to each other ;)

8. Posted August 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

That last bit is hilarious.

What’s your method for making the clotted cream – does it get that nice crust on it?

9. neil
    Posted August 23, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is my christmas clotted cream recipe. It certainly gets the crust on it! It needs to be made a day in advance which adds the complication of trying not to eat it all before your guests arrive! The first year I made it in the quantity in this recipe. Each successive year I have increased the quantity due to demand but have no reached the point (2 litres?) where the recipe doesn’t seem to work so well or at least needs a whole day in the oven.

Heat 250ml of double cream with 2 tbsp whisky and 1 tbsp sugar until it reaches scalding point. Transfer to a small, ovenproof dish and cook at 150C for about two hours or until the top has turned golden and slightly wrinkly and the cream has reduced by a third. Allow to cool completely, preferably overnight, so that the cream can set.

10. Posted August 23, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for that. Sounds evil but good. Am not a big whiskey fan (must be some genetic disorder ;-), but I guess I could just leave it out if I wanted to.

11. Neil
    Posted August 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

And normal recipes don’t call for the sugar. I should experiment a bit more with this one.

12. Posted August 24, 2010 at 10:45 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi Foody – I am dying to make raspberry jam – it’s the best jam in the world – ever – and those pictures are so very appetising
    mmmmmmmmmmm