New Zealand Moist Carrot Cake

I’m not exaggerating when I say that this is the mother of all carrot cakes. It’s one that became a firm favourite in my family home back in the mid-80’s and is simply referred to as THE carrot cake by those who have tried it. The cake recipe came from the Food Aid Cookery Book, which was published during the Live Aid/Band Aid era. I can also tell you for a fact that the name is not just something pulled out of thin air. When on honeymoon in New Zealand I was at a café one day and, to my delight, was presented with a slice of carrot cake that must have been made using the same recipe. I’ve always wondered if the Food Aid Cookery Book people had been there and nabbed the recipe.

The icing is an adaptation of one from Robert Carrier‘s Kitchen. I prefer to use mascarpone instead of cream cheese, as I think it is heavenly.

250g wholemeal flour*

Icing
125g mascarpone
2 tablespoons cream
100g icing sugar
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon

*Danish readers, I find the wholemeal (fuldkorns) flour here to be coarser that the one I was used to in Ireland. Therefore I would recommend using 200g Grahamsmel and 50g plain flour instead.

Pre-heat the oven to 150° C, 300º F, gas mark 2. Grease and line the bottom of a 20cm grease-proof tin.

Place the eggs, oil, vanilla, creme fraiche and sugars in a bowl and beat well. Sift the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, soda and salt into the wet ingredients and combine. Next, add the grated carrot and the coconut, and mix well. Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer, inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean. (If you are using a smaller tin than suggested here, you will probably have to cook the cake for longer). Once the cake has cooled slightly, turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the icing, mix all the ingredients together. Spread the icing over the top of the cake once it has cooled

About these ads

1. Orinda
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Love it Kerry!!!! This stirs up childhood memories…. I used to love seeing your parents arrive at grandad’s as there was always homemade goodies from your mum!!!

2. Posted January 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

OMG it looks soooo good! :-) I love carrotcake…..

Birthe

3. Posted January 24, 2011 at 3:37 am | Permalink | Reply

It looks SO GOOD!!! I love how you added coconut to it! I never would have thought of that! :)

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks, Kathleen. Yes, the coconut gives a nice little bite to it :)

4. Posted January 24, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink | Reply

Mouthwatering!

5. Posted January 24, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink | Reply

Hey – new fork;-) Love the styling here. Simple yet very deliberately chosen colours and composition. That’s the touch of a pro. (And I love the look of that icing too and the coconut twist to a classic. Must try it some time.)

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks :) Yes, I finally took the plunge and introduced some new cutlery – living on the edge!

6. Posted January 24, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink | Reply

Yum. The most delicious cake of all time! I can’t wait to make this. Thank you!

• Posted January 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Do you know it, Liz? I’m sure my mother has made it for you by now..

• Posted January 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

She has indeed made this cake. It was a huge hit with the two Dubliners!

7. Posted January 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looks heavenly! Both the cake and the icing, though I’ve never tried this kind of icing before. I would have thought it would be too much to have cinnamon in the icing as well, but appearently not, if this is THE carrot cake! ;)

• Posted January 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

…I guess there’s only one way to find out ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!

8. Posted January 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

Looks amazing!

9. Posted January 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yum. This looks delectable.

10. Posted January 25, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

I can’t wait to try this! Your pictures are fantastic!

11. Posted January 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

A cake from New Zealand? Thanks.

12. Posted January 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh wow Kerry. Your photos take my breath away. AMAZING. This reminds me once again that I must do a photography course sometime. Think I will spend the weekend going through second hand shops in Dublin looking for cool cutlery and such.
    X Nadia

• Posted February 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for the feedback, Nadia :) I’m also enjoying all the wonderful pastry creations you’re whipping up these days. I should also start blogging more meaty stuff…

(Weird I actually wrote a reply to you several days ago, but only just realised that it never published – 2nd time lucky, hopefully)

13. Posted January 31, 2011 at 2:04 am | Permalink | Reply

OHMYGOSH!!! Your Carrot Cake looks SO GOOD!!! Can you send a slice over my way? :)

14. Posted February 2, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink | Reply

Ooowww that cake looks divine, It is so yummy

Raymund

15. Posted February 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

The cake is right now in the oven – in 1½ hours we’ll know, if this will be our new favourite :)
    My spouse has a problem with cream though, so I made the icing with a drop of limoncello and a bit of lemon juice instead. I can’t wait to find out if it suits the cake (it suits my taste buds for sure!).

Mmmmmmm…come on now, little oven!

• Posted February 3, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wow! Let me know how it goes, Lotte. I’m feeling some performance anxiety here ;-)

16. Posted February 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh my, your photos have me salivating here! This cake sounds and looks amazing, it is on my list to try! Beautiful blog, I will be back!

17. Posted February 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

You sold me with the title. Two of my favorite things. Carrot Cake and New Zealand. This looks simply fantastic!

18. Posted February 27, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

Carrot Cake is my mom’s favorite! LOVE THIS!

xoxox
    Kathleen

19. Posted March 1, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

My husband’s groom’s cake was a carrot cake close to this one. I’d love to give it a try and surprise him. Anniversary, maybe? Hmm… Thanks for the post.

• Posted March 2, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink | Reply

You’re welcome :) Let me know how the cake turns out, if you try it…

20. Posted March 5, 2011 at 2:22 am | Permalink | Reply

that looks amazing, definitely on my next to bake list

21. sheree
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

ooh my lord….i love carrott cake and think this is the best EVER. i made this cake at the weekend with the kiddies and gave only 2 pieces away and could not resist eating the rest.I ended up eating the whole cake barring 2 pieces….whoops. i would definatly recommend anyone to make this cake…………yum!! happy baking.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Sheree, that’s the kind of comment that makes my day :) Thank you for giving my recipe a go and for taking the time to write a comment. Glad you liked it!

22. Posted January 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

This DOES look beautiful. I’ve never had carrot cake with cinnamon icing before, always straight creamcheese! Stunning photos – I like the patterned crockery (and mixing bowl) :)

• Posted January 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks, Christina. Funny you write that because I was admiring a plate in one of your posts yesterday – I’ll leave a comment to show you which one.

23. Shema
    Posted September 7, 2012 at 8:30 am | Permalink | Reply

Wow, I came across your carrot cake today! I always make the moist bbc goodfood version for friends, but I’m trying to bake more healthy these days…your wholemeal version is perfect! Can’t wait to try it this weekend ;) cheers from Dubai

24. Shema
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi

I baked your carrot cake today & must say it is truly fabulous!! Love the moistness, taste is amazing especially with the tangy frosting! I added sweet dates & walnuts to cake batter. I also doubled the frosting quantity to cover whole cake & layer the middle after having sliced the cake in half & finally padded the whole cake with freshly grated coconut! Yummy!

Above all what I love best, is that I can enjoy its ‘wholewheatness” & lightness without too much of a guilty cake-conscience! ;)

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

• Posted September 10, 2012 at 6:30 am | Permalink | Reply

Hi Shema,

That is so cool! I’m really glad you liked the recipe too and I like the sound of the changes you made to it. Thanks for taking the time to leave your comment :)

Kerry

2 Trackbacks

1. By Yes, I Did It Again. « katshealthcorner on May 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm

[…] Kerry @ Foody Two Shoes […]

2. […] thought it was appropriate to bake a carrot cake for the weekend. I have until now only ever baked the family favourite, but this time I thought we’d live on the edge a little and try a new recipe. A few months […]