Oatmeal Cookies

I realise that so far I’m not really promoting a very balanced diet on my blog. This is my second post and neither recipe is particularly nutritional (although today’s is vaguely healthy – it contains oats, almonds and dark chocolate. Yeah, I know, who am I kidding?) Admittedly I do have a bit of a sweet tooth, but I do also enjoy making and eating ‘real’ food. I will make a special effort to introduce something healthy in my next post, promise.

Today, I’m posting the recipe for my favourite cookies. This recipe originally came from my friend, Janet, but the strange thing about it is that my cookies turn out different every time and never seem to resemble the ones I’ve enjoyed at Janet’s house. Nevertheless, they are always good in their own individual way and are very straightforward to make. Here you go:

200g softened butter
200g brown sugar (sometimes I use muscovado, other times light brown)
100g white sugar
60 ml milk
1 large egg
1 teasp. vanilla extract (I prefer to use the bourbon type – yum!)
140g plain flour
1 teasp. cinnamon
½ teasp. baking soda
¼ teasp. salt
300g oats
100g almonds and/or raisins and/or chocolate chips (if you’re feeling indulgent, like I usually am, make the chips yourself with a bar of good quality dark choc) or whatever you like.

Heat the oven to 350° F/180° C
Beat the butter, sugars, milk, egg and vanilla until light & fluffy
Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda & salt
Add to the butter mixture and mix well
Stir in the oats & nuts etc.
Drop dessertspoons of the mixture onto baking sheets
Bake for 12-14 mins.

Usually makes about 20+ cookies

Advertisements

1. Posted February 19, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am so happy you started this blog-these look delicious!

2. Janet
    Posted February 19, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

May favorite substitutions are white chocolate chips, cranberries and macadamia nuts. Makes a more adult tasting cookie so the kids may prefer M+Ms and no nuts!

3. Posted February 20, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hey Kerry, How about posting recipes for delicious low fat foods for those of us who need to watch our weight!

4. Emma M
    Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:15 am | Permalink | Reply

Cousin, I keep going back to this recipe, they never fail to impress and keep everyone going on nasty night shifts in the emergency dept! Keep up the good work :)

• Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi cousin, thanks, I’m really glad to hear that. I like to think that they are helping to save lives…in an indirect kind of way ;-) I hope all is well with you in Wellington. Will you be home for Christmas?

5. Emma M
    Posted August 1, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I have booked flights home for Chrsitmas, I already can’t wait. Will you be back? Would be nice to see you…and give you more feedback on recipes you post between now and then :)

• Posted August 1, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Am going to book any day now. We plan to go over on Boxing Day until just after New Year. We’ll definitely catch up I’m sure. In the meantime, I hope you keep dropping by the blog (all comments welcome ;-) Hi to Tiv.