Winter Salad of Curly Kale and Pomegranate

Here’s something bright and delicious to kick off a brand new year. I stumbled across this recipe by Trina Hahnemann in the Danish magazine Mad & Venner and thought I’d give it a go on Christmas Eve here. It was nice to serve something refreshing like this with the roast and all the other traditional accompaniments. I repeated the success over the holidays when we were staying with my family in Ireland. There it seemed to go down equally well. This one is a keeper.

Serves 6

300g kale
1 pomegranate
300g seedless red grapes
75g walnuts
1-2 limes
2 dessertspoons olive oil

Rinse the kale and finely chop. Cut the pomegranate in half and hammer the seeds out with a wooden spoon. Rinse the grapes and cut in half. Chop the walnuts (I also toasted mine, but that’s up to you). Place the whole lot in a bowl and toss together.

Combine the juice of the lime(s) with the olive oil and dress the salad just before serving.

Advertisements

1. Posted January 8, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink | Reply

I love the look of Curly Kale – and the salad looks delish :-)

Mange hilsner
    Birthe

2. Posted January 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

A delicious, delicious salad. I’d never had kale before and I’m a complete convert. Love it!

• Posted January 9, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

I forgot to mention that my in-laws here steered well clear of it. Glad to know you liked it :)

3. Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is a beautiful salad, it looks delish!

4. Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is beautiful! I love the reds and greens. I recently discovered that I like kale, so your recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

5. Posted January 12, 2011 at 7:16 am | Permalink | Reply

Love the colours!! looks gorgeous

6. Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink | Reply

I love the play of flavours in this salad, yummy

7. A Tablespoon of Liz
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 3:41 am | Permalink | Reply

This looks so good! Pomegranate and kale are some of my favorites!

8. Posted February 15, 2011 at 4:45 am | Permalink | Reply

I love kale salads! My Danish grandmother hooked me on kale as a little girl, though hers was always creamed (and delicious!).

2 Trackbacks

1. […] when we were staying with my family in Ireland. There it seemed to go down equally well.Link: Winter Salad of Curly Kale and Pomegranate Filed under gastronomi-nyt · Tagged with danish, dress-the-salad, grapes, pomegranate, […]

2. […] Winter Salad of Curly Kale and Pomegranate (via Foody Two Shoes) Posted on January 17, 2011 by inislamicworld Here's something bright and delicious to kick off a brand new year. I stumbled across this recipe by Trina Hahnemann in the Danish magazine Mad & Venner and thought I'd give it a go on Christmas Eve here. It was nice to serve something refreshing like this with the roast and all the other traditional accompaniments. I repeated the success over the holidays when we were staying with my family in Ireland. There it seemed to go down equally well … Read More […]