Lemon Curd Layer Cake

I love lemons. There is very little that I cook that doesn’t get a dash of lemon thrown in. Therefore, it’s no surprise that this cake is one of my firm favourites – it’s lemony through and through. Most people that have come by our house have had it dished out to them at one point or another – some even go as far as to request it. The recipe is from Delia Smith’s Winter Collection. Despite the name of the recipe book, this cake always makes me think of spring and summer. I made it again recently (when the spring flowers were still in bloom, as you’ll notice in the photos ;) and it was as yummy as ever.

175g plain flour

2 large eggs
50g unsalted butter

For the icing
50g sifted icing sugar
Zest of 1 large lemon
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice

Grease and line the bases of two (18cm) sandwich tins, greasing the paper too. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3/170° C/325° F.

Measure all the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat until you have a smooth, creamy consistency. Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins and bake them on the centre shelf of the oven for about 35 minutes or until the centre feels spongy.

While the cakes are baking, make the lemon curd. Place the sugar and grated lemon rind in a heat-proof bowl, whisk the lemon juice together with the eggs, then pour this over the sugar. Add the butter, cut into little pieces, and place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until thickened – about 20 minutes.

When the cakes are cooked, remove them from the oven and after about 30 seconds turn them out onto a wire rack. When they are absolutely cold carefully cut each one horizontally into two, using a sharp serrated knife. Then spread the curd thickly to sandwich the layers together.

To make the icing, begin by removing the zest from the lemon – it’s best to use a zester to get long, curly strips. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually stir in the lemon juice until you have a soft, runny consistency. Allow the icing to stand for 5 minutes before spreading it on top of the cake with a knife. Then scatter the lemon zest over the top and leave it for half an hour for the icing to firm before serving.

Advertisements

1. Posted June 7, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

That looks sooooo bloody tasty. Great job and really great photography Kerry.

2. Posted June 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Already know I’m gonna love it! Am also a great fan of anything lemon. Especially like the shot of the slice coming right at me, but am having a hard time dealing with the fact that it isn’t really;-)

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Haha! I guess once your taste buds are back to normal you should give it a try yourself ;)

3. Posted June 8, 2011 at 4:30 am | Permalink | Reply

I love your photos! They are so bright and clear. And the cake looks delicious :)

4. Posted June 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

It looks wonderfully fresh, rich and fulfilling :-)I love lemon curd!

5. Posted June 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

I can almost smell the citrus just by looking at your photos – it looks so…lemony! ;)

6. Posted July 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Your layers are beautiful, and the cake looks amazingly tasty! Thanks for sharing!

7. Posted July 15, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

That looks amazing, I can see why people request it. Isn’t that a nice feeling?

8. Posted July 16, 2011 at 6:28 am | Permalink | Reply

I am all about the lemon. This looks beautiful. And delicious. And so summery! Yum!

9. Posted July 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wow- looks perfect! And lovely for summer. I’m hungry for that already…and I just had breakfast.

10. Posted July 18, 2011 at 1:01 am | Permalink | Reply

This looks delicious! I love lemon in the summer, and I think it’s a great alternative to chocolate when you’re not up for something so rich and heavy. This looks easier to make than I expected, too! Thanks for sharing.

Halie

11. Posted July 18, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink | Reply

Wow thats so drool worthy!

One Trackback